Young Investigators Program
ISRA began its YI Program at the 2008 World Meeting in Budapest to encourage and assist young scholars who are getting started or are in the early stages of their aggression research career. The YI program at the July 2022 meeting in Ottawa, Canada, will continue this tradition via a focus on supporting and facilitating the professional development of young aggression scholars. The YI Program will include:
- A Pre-Conference YI Workshop (July 18, 2022 – 12pm-4pm): The 2022 Workshop will bring together YIs and group leaders to engage in didactic and group activities designed to support and facilitate YIs professional development and, ultimately, research-based career trajectories. Activities will include a focus on manuscript and grant writing, reviewing and evaluating research, strategies for building a research program, and being competitive on the job market. YIs will be encouraged to read assigned articles prior to the Workshop and submit their own work (e.g., a manuscript or grant proposal in preparation) to be discussed in the Workshop.
- Meet with mentors: YIs will meet with a different panel of senior mentors during lunch or dinner each day for informal discussion. Mentors may include plenary speakers who will be available for follow-up questions about their presentations.
- Networking: YIs will meet with senior members of ISRA. They will also have opportunities to interact professionally and socially with other young investigators during and outside of the pre-conference workshop. Mutual support and fruitful collaborations have developed out of past YI interactions.
- Financial support: Awardees will receive partial monetary support to attend the 2022 ISRA World Meeting
YI PROGRAM APPLICATION: WHO AND HOW (Deadline March 15, 2022)
We encourage graduate students, postdoctoral fellows and early career faculty within 3 years of their terminal graduate degree to apply. The YI Review Committee selects YI participants based on the originality and promise of their work in human or animal, observational, experimental, or theoretical analyses of aggression.
Please submit the following materials via email to YI Co-Chair Dominic Parrott at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 15th, 2022.
- The abstract of the scientific work you have submitted for presentation at the ISRA 2022 meeting. Note: You will submit this abstract twice: (1) A formal submission through the World Meeting submission portal (be sure to check the box to indicate that you wish to be considered for the YI Program), and (2) inclusion of this same abstract as part of your overall YI application materials submitted via email as indicated above.
- A standard Curriculum Vitae
- A 250-word statement summarizing your research interests and how participating in the YI Program would advance your professional development.
- Predoctoral students only: Please include a letter from your advisor verifying your student status.
Direct any questions about the Young Investigators Program to YI Co-Chair Dominic Parrott at email@example.com. Interested applicants can find more information about the Young Investigators Program and previous YI’s on the ISRA website and at the Young Investigator’s Corner.
If you applied for the ISRA2020 YI Program:
Only new applications for the Young Investigators Program will be reviewed for the 2022 World Meeting. Information about submission deadlines and application instructions will be posted on the World Meeting website by January 2022.